We’re looking for a senior designer to join us while Tamara, one of our design team, jets off on a South American sabbatical. If you are creative, dedicated and have in interest in good* design then we’d love to meet you.
About the role
The senior designer is a key position in the team and will need to support the creative and founding directors, lead and support other members of our close knit team, work directly with clients and engage with our sister companies.
Our team is busy and focused. You will need to hit the ground running with creative energy, and be full of ideas and ready to try things. We will expect a deep understanding of production methods and a sensitivity to the physical outcome. You will be working varied and challenging projects for a range of interesting clients. You’ll deliver creative concepts through to pragmatic solutions with capability to produce work at all creative stages – including demonstrating an attention to detail and knuckling down to artwork. You will have experience of delivering communication design in multiple contexts: signage and wayfinding, interpretation, user interfaces, visual identity, printed collateral, and installations and exhibitions. Thomas.Matthews has a long track record of delivering sustainable ideas and solutions, we would expect some understanding of these principles coupled with an appetite to learn more.
Provide support to the senior leadership:
- manage and deliver projects from concept to delivery
- present to, guide and work with clients
- understand and manage finance and programme requirements
Provide guidance and support to team members:
- oversight and understanding of all projects running in the studio
- creative and practical support on specific issues
- inspire and lead by example
What you’ll need:
- 6-10 years commercial experience in a similar sized agency and a proven track record of delivering excellent creative projects
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, and good presentation skills
- A highly organised project management approach with the ability to manage and prioritise workload for yourself and others
- A creative and pragmatic outlook on solving problems
- Knowledge and understanding of good UI and user experience
- Work with relevant clients/sectors, particularly the built environment
- To be a good team player, flexible and understanding of others needs
- A positive “can do” attitude, confident and outgoing
- To be naturally inquisitive, adventurous and enthusiastic
Thomas.Matthews is part of the Useful Simple Trust, a trail-blazing, 75-strong, Employee Benefit Trust which has a focus on design, education and communication related to the built environment. The Trust is made up of Useful Simple, Expedition Engineering, Think Up, Useful Projects, Useful Studio and Thomas.Matthews.
Our companies have delivered award winning projects across the globe and in many sectors.
We are based in Shad Thames, within a few minutes of the river and close to the bustle of London Bridge and Bermondsey.
Salary: £35-40k p.a pro rata dependent on experience
Please email CVs/portfolios in the first instance to: firstname.lastname@example.org by 31st October.
* Appropriate, sustainable and beautiful